Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Zero or Hero?

1 Chronicles 4:10 "Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request."

Who in the world is this Jabez person?  What is he doing in only two verses of the bible?  What is so special about Jabez that a man would be inspired to write a book about him?  Further more, the book became a best seller and has sold over 15 million copies?  I mean, the man is only mentioned in two verses in the bible?  What is so special about him and what can we learn from him?

My friend, there is such a profound word to receive from the this man known as Jabez!  Jabez is not known for some heroic action but he is known for his heroic prayer!  Jabez was no zero; He most certainly was a hero!  I have often heard people say that you should not pray for yourself, but only for others.  For some reason, we have the perception that praying for ourselves makes us selfish.  But Jabez displays a different picture in 1 Chronicles 4:10.

Jabez prayed for God to enlarge his territory!  He prayed for God to keep His hand on him at all times to protect him from harm and free of pain!  Jabez desired to more than just the average Christian.  He didn't want to be ordinary, he wanted to be extraordinary!  He didn't want to sit the bench, he wanted his coach to use him in the game wherever and as much as He needed him!  And God granted his request!

So, do you think Jabez was being selfish for his prayer?  Absolutely not!  I believe Jabez was being as sincere and humbled as he could be in his mighty prayer to the Lord.  What a confident and bold prayer request he made! 

I have been seeking God in prayer to be more confident and bold in Him.  Being confident and bold in Christ is more than standing up for Him in this world...it is receiving His spirit and running just as hard as you can after Him continuously!  Jabez said a confident and bold prayer, and God granted his request.  What if we all exercised the 'Jabez mentality'?  Wow!  The blessings that would flow, the territories that would be enlarged, and the abilities that would be bestowed in reaching people that we think are unreachable!

Are you up for the challenge of requesting a sincere-heroic prayer such as Jabez?  For someone that is scarcely mentioned in the bible, his short prayer was (is) an abundant blessing!  

Lord, bless me and enlarge my territory for Your glory!  Keep your hand on me at all times guiding and keeping me free from harm and pain.  God, hear my cry and grant my request!   Amen.

Your sister in Christ,

Tonya



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...