Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Made for More

I am currently reading the book 'Made to Crave' by Lisa Terkeurst.  God has already used this book to impact my life more than I would have ever imagined! 

I knew when I started reading this book that God was going to be revealing some painful things to me.  The first was that my love for food outweighed my love for God.  Ouch!  There are times when the 'hard truth' will just slap you in the face and this was one of those times.  It hurt so badly to admit this to myself.  I have struggled with weight loss for many years.  It was like I was on a roller coaster ride.  I would lose 20 pounds and then turn around and gain 25 back.  I was continuously up and down and I am still struggling with the whole weight-loss issue.  However, I know God is using Lisa's book to help me break through some old habits and to reform my way of thinking on the issue.  For example:  What if Jesus was standing before you?  I mean right there, looking at you, eye to eye, and he is saying to you "I want you to give up the one thing you crave more than me.  Then, come follow me".  Well, this statement did it for me!  If I don't get anything else out of this book, the thought of me craving something else more than God is convicting enough!  Why do we allow our cravings for food, money, sex, music, high-standings etc. outweigh our cravings for Him?  God never intended for us to want anything more than we want Him.  We were made for more! 

"Everything is permissible - but not everything is beneficial"  1 Corinthians 10:23

I know this journey will not be an easy one, but I am dying to self and picking up my cross daily!  I am determined to use the permissible cravings as an opportunity to pray for strength and to allow God to show and fill me with the beneficial cravings that only He can satisfy! 

What cravings do you need to give up in order to follow Jesus completely?

Girl craving Jesus,
Tonya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...